After assembling all the lead screw nut to carriage connections the machine is testable. I ran a program supplied with Linux Enhanced Machine Controller that required coordinated motion between the axes. This came out in an interesting way, mirror image. I figured out that the y axis was opposite from the expected direction, or in other words, when the program called for a positive y axis move, the machine delivered a negative y axis move and vice versa. This was a simple fix, I physically picked up the axis and moved it end for end with a helper and remounted it. After that the test program ran just fine.
Image with corrected axis, you can see a little of the same program showing the E in the correct orientation, as well as a 5″ x 5″ box program that I was able to import from StepCam, although I did have to edit the program to get it to run.
Next on the CNC list is to order some additional materials from McMaster-Carr to finish the Z axis as well as some electrical routing accessories to finish the limit switch installations. Last but not least I will need to improve the mounting of the sharpie, plasma cutter and whatever other option should be available for this machine. No doubt a router head would be useful as well. I have the material for the fabrication of a base so I will start on that this coming week as well. Of course this is not the only thing on my list, I still have to make a living so progress will be measured in hours. Thanks for reading, and tell your friends.