Remaining IssuesPosted: January 18, 2012
Last night I went over the remaining issues with my girlfriend. So here is the list and the possible fixes and approaches to each item.
1) Smoke. There is still some remaining minor smoking issues. Possible fixes, better caulking, stronger fans, a wind baffle, burner redesign? Pipe cleaning? I think I will start with a wind baffle and some better caulking, next furnace will have a better gasket design. I also have ordered a Magnehelic to help determine the normal static pressure so that a baseline can be established and tested against. The boiler is working so ordering fans without more facts would be a expensive trial and error process.
2) Feed issues. There continues to be an occasional feed issue. So much so that today I am going to take the burner off the boiler and see if I can determine the binding issue. Possible solutions? Increase in torque, already ordered more sprockets.
3) LCD issues. The problem has been traced to the relay and I think needs some old fashioned power regulation, no doubt involving a capacitor to remove the spike when the relay is released. Possible fixes, ordered an LCD backpack to free up some IO and also allow only one power and ground to go to the LCD.
4) Hopper Extension. 3 bags per day means a bag every 8 hours, no all that conducive to being able to leave for a day long event.
5) Data logging. Tuning the machine is always the fun part and so dependable data logging needs to happen. I ordered a SD card writer. This should allow the internal Arduino software to work with the card independently of Windows XP which seems to have problems with continual or repeated Arduino upload. I also plan to test the upload and communication with a Linux operating system.
Back to work! Today I built the wind baffle and so after the auger is clear back to the experiment.